At Henderson Engineers, we're about more than just buildings. We're about the people, experiences and potential found inside. We're known for our technical excellence, but we bring so much more to the table. We love the process that brings buildings to life. And we're changing the industry by integrating the building design and construction process.
We view each of our employees as an essential part of our mission to lead the field.
It's What We Do
We provide total building system design services across multiple high-growth markets for industry leaders. You'll get to use your talent to work on some of the country's biggest names in Grocery, Retail, Restaurants and more.
It's How We're Different
But, we're also about more than just engineering. We're about you. You, and the hundreds of passionate employees who made us who we are today.
Together, we dream up inventions that solve industry-wide problems, design spaces that become landmarks, win medals in fitness challenges, and toast to the good life at our legendary golf tournaments.
So what will you be doing all day?
- You would join us in our Lenexa, KS office as Plumbing Designer/Engineer working on things like…
- Technical design on assigned projects - retail, restaurant and grocery to name a few!
- Assisting in the production of construction documents (drawing and specifications) for new buildings, renovations and additions to existing facilities.
- Perform Plumbing specific calculations (water fixture, water service, water heater, pump, invert, etc.)
- Adhering to project schedule and budget
- Providing coordination of project designs with other disciplines
- Building and maintaining positive client relationships
- Working with minimal guidance in creation of plans and specifications using AutoCAD, Revit and similar CAD programs
We'd love for you to apply for this position if you…
- Have at least 4-8 +/- years of MEP design experience - in Grocery, Retail and/or Restaurant would be a huge plus but certainly not required
- Have the knowledge of 2004 CSI format specifications
- Have strong plumbing design capability in retail, commercial or related markets
- Possess working knowledge of plumbing codes
- Have knowledge of sustainable design practices
- Possess successful verbal and written communication skill
- Are highly proficient in the use of AutoCAD and Revit modeling tools - strongly preferred but willing to train the right individual
- Have the ability to meet fast-paced deadlines while maintaining quality design
- Have a willingness and availability for some light to moderate travel
- Flexible Work Hours ( Because we all need to balance work and life.)
- Casual Dress Code (Be yourself, please.)
- Paid Volunteer Time ( We literally pay you to volunteer.)
- Paid Parental Leave (Because we know both parents deserve to be there for a new baby.)
- Health and Wellness Initiatives (Get Fit and Stay Fit.)
- Receptive and Forward-Thinking Leadership ( Our doors are always open.)
- Clear Career Path Options (We want you to excel.)
- Industry-leading 401K match and profit sharing (When the company succeeds, we all share in that success.)
- Paid Training for Professional Development ( We’ll pay for the time you take getting better at what you do.)
- Performance Bonuses (When you do well, we reward you for your work.)
- Comprehensive and Extensive Insurance ( We’ve got you covered.)
- Paid Term Life and Disability (We’ve got your family covered, too.)
- Financial Wellness & Coaching Program (Financial security makes you a happier team member.)
Commercial Construction and Renovation
- 2014-2017 - #1 Top Engineering Firm (Retail)
- 2016 - #8 Top Engineering Firm (Hospitality)
- 2016 - #4 Top Engineering Firm (Restaurant)
- 2010-2016 “Top 10 Retail Architects/Engineers Report”
- 2008-2018 – ENR Top 500 Design Firms (2018: #142)
- 2018 – ENR Top 100 Green Design Firms (#85)
- 2017 – Mixed-Use Project of the Year/Best Project – Sports/Entertainment (ENR Texas & Louisiana) Dallas Cowboys Ford Center at the Star
Kansas City Business Journal
- 2006 – 2007, 2009 – 2018 Finalist “Best Places to Work"
- 2009, 2010, 2014 “Champions of Business”
- 2014 “Hall of Champions”
- 2015 – 2016 “Healthiest Employer”
Building Design + Construction
- 2018 Giants 300 – Ranked #8 Overall Engineering Firm, #2 Retail Engineering Firm, #22 K-12 Education Engineering Firm, #25 Healthcare Engineering Firm
- 2010-2017 “Top 55 Engineering Firms Nationwide”
- 2016 Giants 300 – Ranked #8 Engineering Firm, Ranked #6 on “Top 30 Sports Facility Engineering Firms Nationwide”
- 2017 Giants 300 – Ranked #7 on Engineering Firm, Ranked #34 on “Top 60 Construction Management Firms List”
- 2017 – Ranked #2 on “Top 50 Retail Engineering Firms List”
- 2011-2018 “Top 20 MEP Giants List” (#12 in 2018)
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
- 2018 – Ranked #7 on “Top 40 Electrical Design Firms List”
Visual Merchandising & Store Design
- 2018 – Ranked #6 on “Top Retail Design Firms of 2018 list”
American Subcontractors Association – Kansas City (ASAKC)
- 2009 “Engineering Firm of the Year”
AIA Committee on the Environment (COTE)
2009 “Top Ten Green Projects
AIA Central States
- 2011 “Merit Award for Excellence in Architecture”
ASHE Vista Award for Renovation
- 2018 – Shawnee Mission Medical Center
Illuminating Engineering Society
- 2018 – Illumination Award of Merit (Lenexa Civic Campus)
- 2018 – Illumination Award of Merit (State Farm Center)
Kansas City Chamber of Commerce/Healthy KC Workplace Wellness
- 2017-18 – Platinum Level Healthy KC Certified (highest level)
- 2015-16 – Gold Level Healthy KC Certified
Kansas City Corporate Challenge
- 2016-18 Division D Champions
- 2015, 2012, 2008 Division E Runner-Up
STEMMY Award (Central Exchange)
Henderson Engineers, Inc. and Henderson Building Solutions are EEO – M/F/V/D employers and participate in the E-Verify program
Applicants for positions with Henderson Engineers/Henderson Building Solutions must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and verification of eligibility will be required at the time of commencement of employment.